The last couple of days I’ve been playing with the watercolours some more. I had this idea to paint a card for my mother-in-law for Mother’s Day, so I practiced doing some using different techniques.
Here is a peony using almost entirely dry-on-dry techniques which gives these crisp edges and a stylised look to the flower. I liked the process but think my rendition is a bit heavy handed, particularly in those shadows and somewhere along the line I lost the sense of form.
Here’s another done almost entirely in wet-in-wet. I applied the darkest colour in the petal first and used clean water to pull the colour up gently to soften the edge. I dotted some warm colours here and there too. When it was dry I added a few shadows. I love how this one turned out, but bungled it up with a really primitive leaf. It makes me want to try more wet techniques.
In the end I didn’t do a card, I spent a long time trying different flowers and techniques but just didn’t feel confident in any one design. I found the lettering daunting too. It showed me that I’m not quite ready to share my art more openly in a piece like that, though I’d one day love to send art to my family and friends and even have one of my own works up on the wall.
I went back and did a very small landscape of our view in my sketchbook. The hills were very damp and misty so I let the edges blend a bit and added some splatter for texture.